Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sobek



What god spelled me with sadness?

Mother Crow blames Alligator

Chase him into the waters
And command him to un-spell you
She caws in the night

At her command
I swim into the river

But its current is strong
And I cannot resist it
In my weaken state

So I float south

At times I cry
For my impotence
And my shame
Looking for Alligator
Who has fled my will

I reach salt marshes
Before the middle sea
And find him waiting
His beady black eyes
Just above the gray water
Where mosquitoes buzz
In unison above green sludge

This reptilian god
Older than my young god
Is one of many

Crocodile is his brother
Their kingdom sadness
And melancholy
And their knowledge
Dark and dank
Like the alluvial mud
In which they reside

Crow mother says
From a low hanging limb
Of a cottonwood tree
Feed them your sadness
Ride them to the darkest depths
Reside in their mud
Sing the crocodile song
Sleep the sleep of alligator
Dream the dreams of crocodile.
Bear witness to their wetness
Testify to their darkness
Marvel at their fecundity

Inhabit their imaginal world